[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Racing Fuel Systems • View topic - Annular booster and jetting?

Annular booster and jetting?

Annular booster and jetting?

Postby TheUncle » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:39 pm

When you would switch from a downleg style booster to a annular booster,the signal would be much stronger.
So far so good,i can understand that,but why do you have to change the jetting so drastically?
Better signal,more fuel to suck in,in my small carburetor world.
Perhaps someone can explain it to me in easy words,cause my carb physics are not the best.
Might there be thumb rule to decrease jetting by x% of the current jetting?
Reading books might be easy,but the reality looks different.
TheUncle

Re: Annular booster and jetting?

Postby rgalajda » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:17 am

The centre of an annular booster is typically much larger . This means much more air will travel through the booster instead of around it.
Wth more air travelling through the booster it creates more depression ( vacuum ) in the booster . This makes the booster draw ( suck ) more fuel. The greater the air flow the greater the amount of fuel drawn into the venturi.

It is the pressure drop ( suction ) caused by the air passing through the venturi that is used to draw fuel out of the fuel bowl
Mini annular boosters will not increase suction noticeably.
A high gain booster such as an annular booster can increase the main venturi signal by as much as 300 to 400 percent.

Below is a picture of a 3310-1 780 cfm Holley carb that I replaced the downleg boosters in the primaries with annular boosters. Doing this required reducing the main jets by 5 sizes when the air bleeds were untouched.

Annular boosters also atomize the fuel better because the fuel comes out numerous holes instead of one hole. Smaller droplets of fuel , easier to brake down and mix with the air. You can also atomize the fuel too much though, It is a balancing act.
Attachments
IMG_20221011_074302.jpg
IMG_20221011_074302.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
rgalajda

Postby Right hand drive » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 am

rgalajda has given a good explanation. I’ve found 850cfm Holley style carbs to also have a 4-5 jet size drop downleg to annular.

When you think of the main jet as a restriction rather than a flow device then it may be easier to understand how the stronger signal of an annular booster needs the amount of fuel from the main well restricted more than the less sensitive downleg or straight booster.
Right hand drive

Postby rgalajda » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:53 pm

As an interesting note the Autolite 2100/4100 carbs in the 60’s used Annular discharge boosters ( mini annular ) . 1980’s OEM Holley carbs on Ford vehicles used a large annular. Holley did not invent Annular discharge boosters.
Quadrajet carbs used a triple booster design. Each of these were designed to give better fuel atomization/signal.
Better fuel atomization can also lead to better fuel distribution through out the cylinders.

When we use performance intakes without a heat crossover and /or air gap design , fuel atomization can be reduced. This is where a better booster design can help. Although a cooler intake charge can lead to better performance we may need to encourage more fuel atomization .
A stepped dogleg booster will help here because it adds a shearing effect .( better atomization ) . See picture.
Going to an annular booster will further increase atomization.
As a note hear ,if you use an annular booster with a heated intake this can cause too much fuel atomization , end result being a reduction in power.

Annular boosters are more often used on large venturi carbs to restore the lost signal ( suction ) of the large venturi.
Attachments
123.jpg
123.jpg (15.54 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
rgalajda

Postby TheUncle » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:10 pm

Hello once again,i had to read it several times to understand your complete answers.
It took time to understand that.
Thank you and greets from Germany
TheUncle

Postby TheUncle » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:59 pm

Hello once again,during the season i made some test runs with jetting down 5-7 numbers down.
This doesn´t work really great,perhaps i made some mistakes.for the next season i will give the combination a new try.
On the photo you can sse the current set up jetted on weather conditions from 104-105. with .188 inlet and downleg booster.
Under the read line are the numbers of what i have on annular boosters and
different inlet sizes.
Perhaps HSAB are too big or small,with only changing jets down it doesn´t work.
Please take a look on the set up.All is running on ETS Z85 Perfo E85
Attachments
Stihl.jpg
TheUncle

Postby Right hand drive » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:17 pm

Right hand drive

Postby GTO Geoff » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:49 am

Looks like he might have mixed up the IAB & the HSAB.
GTO Geoff

Postby TheUncle » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:11 pm

Good evening !
I made a big mistake when writing it down,sorry for that.
So HSAB is .26 and ISAB is .62
Idle feed is .37.I have 2 carbs on a tunnel ram.
Sorry for my mistake!
TheUncle

Return to Holley