[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Racing Fuel Systems • View topic - MAB effect on main circuit

MAB effect on main circuit

Re: MAB effect on main circuit

Postby Rat Bastid » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:56 am

Taylor The Internal Combustion Engine In Theory And Practice, Volume II, page 205, 3rd paragraph under “complete automotive carburation”.

There is more to read than that, but that’s where he says a low air flow that bleed acts like an emulsion jet (my words) and it causes the mains to start earlier.

You can also test this with an O2 meter.
Rat Bastid

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 am

[1] Nope, for the umpteenth time, a bigger MAB does not start the main system sooner.
[2] Physics does not get superceded.
[3] And it is Urich, not Ulrich.
GTO Geoff

Postby Right hand drive » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:03 am

Back when I was young and did my apprenticeship as a motor mechanic and a rev head I read all the magazines and books that earned their coin for the authors and publishers with enticing titles like “Holley Secrets” and “All You Need To Know About Holley Carburetors!” and so on. After a long hiatus and I started getting back into it the web was now an avenue for learning as much as books. What the web and forums like this has that books don’t is people just as smart as those writing books that are not sharing their knowledge with the intent of making money from it. It must be remembered books are written for various purposes and audiences in this field. There are the engineering type that are from findings, research and experimentation and used for educational purposes. These are often characterized by a lot of higher level math that is used to explain and justify and being scholarly they site others work as reference sources within their own. Taylor, Larew and Obert is along these lines. Book sales is not their prime objective. Then there are books that are informative of nature and “How To” and the author is well aware of the audience they are writing for and for want of a better term, dumb it down. They don’t go as deep as they could to reduce complexity in order to reach a broader audience. As smart in their field the likes of Vizard and Urich among others are, their target is the general public and must be digestible for that audience to maximize sales. You somehow believe your interpretation of these types of books trump what others have lived.

Then we have people that have spent close to a lifetime studying the same carburetor and other automotive related fields but have no intentions on being authors or making money sharing their knowledge. I have been lucky enough to read and take in these generous people’s knowledge and even privileged to converse with some of them on forums such as racingfuelsystems. The likes of Tuner (aka Yeti on other forums) Shrinker (RIP), jmarkaudio and various others that have lived and breathed carburetors and likely forgotten more than you and I will ever know about the topic have opened my eyes and mind that it’s not as straight forward as the mainstream money making publications would have us believe. Their information was more consistent with the full on engineering books. I rolled up my sleeves and experimented to see what information fell into line with what I was seeing in the real world when the forum guys knowledge clashed with the magazines and books. Almost always the forum guys knowledge and information was proven right when applied in the real world. Smaller main air bleeds on Holley modular carburetors bringing on the mains slightly later and leaner was one of the more unambiguous results I have had proven over and over no matter the size of or brand of Holley clone used. It is irrefutable as shown in the video links I posted earlier.

Geoff, I don’t understand why you do not like Holleys but continue to want to tell all the Holley people how they work, especially those that have seen the results of bleed changes with their own eyes. What have you got to gain with your attempts to prove us wrong? When it comes to Carters and Edelbrock carbs and even Quaddies I’ll listen to you all day long, I see you as a wealth of knowledge in that area. Maybe it’s time, if your not willing to go through real world testing like a lot of us have, for you to take a little sip of pride and accept your model of the world in this instance may not be correct regarding Holley carburetors.

I stopped replying earlier in this post as your history shows on this forum and others you will become as argumentative as you see fit to force your opinions on others. The below link will attest to that and another thread on this forum that was locked that you were involved in. These forums are for amicable knowledge sharing and discussions in an adult manner (my reasoning for this long post). You do not have to have everybody agree with you. You do not have to be the smartest in the room. You do not have to contribute to a thread you do not agree with.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/qu ... s.1931754/
Right hand drive

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 am

You see RHD, they are not just my opinions. Which you seem to ignore. I have quoted numerous opinions on the AB subject, much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

I don't think they can all be wrong.....

As for my not liking Holleys, you are 100% correct.

But that has nothing to do with the FACT that an air bleed in a Holley works on the same principles of physics as any other type of venturi carb does.

And when I see BS, I will call it out...

Are we straight now?
GTO Geoff

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:40 am

RHD,
And now your the policeman as well on this site, telling people when & if they can contribute. And they cannot contribute if YOU don't like what they say.

Everybody is an adult on this site & able to make up their own mind as to what they want to believe. You must live in a parallel universe if you think I have the power to force an opinion on a website.
GTO Geoff

Postby Rat Bastid » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:56 pm

Rat Bastid

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:31 pm

Rat,
Don't tell me, tell that to the people who make carbs. They have had it wrong all these years.....
GTO Geoff

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:38 pm

Rat,
An O2 sensor does NOT tell you when the MAB starts. With the main system, you have the overlap of the idle system to take into account. The O2 sensor cannot differentiate between the two systems, it only reads oxygen content in the gas. It was not that long ago on another forum that you were claiming the opposite to what you stated above. Having an each way bet?
GTO Geoff

Postby Right hand drive » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:44 am

Last edited by Right hand drive on Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right hand drive

Postby Right hand drive » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:49 am

Right hand drive

PreviousNext

Return to Holley