Carter AFB/Edelbrock AFB

Carter AFB/Edelbrock AFB

Postby rgalajda » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:21 am

This is a question referring to secondary opening hesitation .
What is the best way to correct this problem since these carbs do not have an adjustable secondary air valve.
rgalajda

Re: Carter AFB/Edelbrock AFB

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:36 pm

I presume you have tried larger jets?

On the Edel [ not Carter ] carbs: I believe some models had the main system pick up tube in the secondary boosters with a bullet shaped tip & the hole in it was smaller than the jet! So the restriction acted as the jet, not the jet itself, & reduced flow. There were some pics, I believe on Speedtalk, but a long time back.
The fix was to enlarge the hole/cut off the bullet end so that the jet regulated flow. No one seems to know why this was done...
So remove the boosters & check.

There is a secondary starter cct, usually a hole or small protruding brass tube from the booster ring that aligns with the top of the vel valve. This starts the sec fuel system. It has an air bleed. You could try putting a thin wire in the AB; that will start the system sooner & make it richer.

Carter had different weight/shape vel valves. I believe these are discussed here: www.carburetorshop.com

Heavier weights come in later, which might be what you need. You will have to experiment by adding weight. Also, the angle of the vel valves differed. Some were more horizontal, others angled downwards. I would think you need one that is more horizontal, to open later. The weights can be trimmed to do this.
GTO Geoff

Re: Carter AFB/Edelbrock AFB

Postby rgalajda » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:46 am

There is a secondary starter cct, usually a hole or small protruding brass tube from the booster ring that aligns with the top of the vel valve. This starts the sec fuel system. It has an air bleed. You could try putting a thin wire in the AB; that will start the system sooner & make it richer.

Maybe try this ^^
rgalajda

Return to Carter & Offspring