Carter production TQs

Carter production TQs

Postby GTO Geoff » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:37 am

Hi.
I am a fan of these carbs. Hoping someone can answer these questions, have not been able to find a satisfactory answer.

The secondary discharge tubes have holes along the length, plus a small hole in the bullet shaped end. Holes along the length vary in diam, position & number. The right side can vary with left side in number of holes etc.

[1] Is the upper most hole the first to flow fuel?

[2] What happens next over the rpm range regarding?

[3] Is fuel being pulled from all the holes at WOT/high rpm?

[4] The Comp Series TQs just had dump tubes in the secondaries, like the QJ. Do you guys think this provides a better discharge/atomisation/distribution than the production tubes?
GTO Geoff

Re: Carter production TQs

Postby hysteric » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 am

I'd like to know too!

I would imagine the holes where spaced and sized accordingly for the particular manifold the were eventually placed on. I have a few of the ones that were put on local fords maybe we should compare them to the US ones that went on Mopars?
hysteric

Postby GTO Geoff » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:44 am

Hysteric,
The position, number & size of the holes is different on Mopar TQs to the Aussie Fords. Even between small & big block engines. I have for a few years now soldered the holes closed; then, cut off the bullet end at an angle, like the Comp Series TQs. They pull harder via the butt-meter, but have not compared on a dyno. If you have a spare carb you could try. Mate has a Pontiac, 3900lb without him in it, street driven, pump petrol, T400, 455, 3.31 diff, ran 11.8 @115, street radials, with factory intake manifold. Has run 11.65 @119 with a different cam & intake. 850 TQ, modified as above. When people ask him why he hasn't got a Holley, he says, because 'I want to go faster...'. He is very gracious though at the drags. Offers Holley owners petrol to get home because he has plenty...

Cheers.
GTO Geoff

Postby hysteric » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:25 am

Hey Geoff.

Can you post a pic of the mod?

Yeah i had a well known racer and tuner at WSID look the eddie carb on my car and say 'well if it works for ya' I told him I had a 850 TQ to put on later and he didn't look impressed. :lol:

To his credit he tried to explain why the smaller carb was better and I knew where he was coming from but he's also a Holley centric tuner.
hysteric

Postby GTO Geoff » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:38 am

Sorry mate, old bastard, don't know how to do it. Computer skills between 0 & 0.1....

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a pic.

And by the way, I have found the 800 Ford TQs work just as well as the Mopar ones.
GTO Geoff

Postby hysteric » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:55 am

Here's the pic Geoff was talking about:

hysteric

Return to Carter & Offspring